Thursday, January 14, 2010

Chalk the Walk

My second year of college is when I feel I really came out of my shell. I had the best roommates and they brought out the best in me. We often did crazy things for fun. One of my favorites was getting dressed up in wild outfits and walking on to campus to get frozen yogurt. We each had to act however we were dressed. Once I went as a Charlie's angel. That was fun. Anyway, out of all the fun stuff we did, there was one that really stuck out. I decided we needed to complete a covert operation. I made some self-destructing notes for each of my roommates. It layed out the mission complete with all new handles and any code words they needed to know. We would find any opportunity to discuss our mission in front of others to build up the excitement. We talked about the "chicken" being in the "kitchen", and the "hens" might stop the "chop". It was fun to see peoples reactions to our secret code.
So the night of the mission finally arrived. Our mothers were at college that week with us and of course my adventurous mom was right there with us. With our black get-ups, secret maps, and chalk in hand we arrived at the predesignated spot to chalk the walk better than it's ever been chalked before. We mostly wrote things like, "Welcome Moms" and "Ricks Rules!!!". Of course every time someone was coming we had to jump into the bushes. I had to army crawl a couple times and of course do the ninja roll.
Then all of a sudden we were surrounded by campus police. There was about 6 of them. My mom yelled "RRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNN!" We tried to spread out to get away but the guards caught all of us. They gave the moms each a little shake of the head and told them to go get some sleep. The rest of us got taken to the security office. We had to show our IDs and then the interrogation began. My friends all sang like canaries. I wasn't going to lie anyway. I knew I would take the heat. So they finally let us all go home but I had to meet with the dean the next day. I went to meet with him and he told me how disappointed he was. I believe he called me ridiculous even.
Okay, so my punishment was to "wash the walk". I had to show them my class schedule and they found an opening that was during prime campus traffic. Unfortunately it was during my lunch so I had to go hungry. I sort of wished we hadn't used so much chalk because there was a lot to clean up. I started cleaning up. I got several reactions as people went by. Professors looked at me very angry like. Some students looked at me like they thought I was a dork and others congratulated me. Moms looked at me like they felt sorry for me. I had only been cleaning for about 10 min. when from around the corner I saw a small mass of people coming toward me with buckets and brushes in hand. It was my roommates and good friends, a couple strangers and some moms. They were there to help.
We cleaned it up quickly from that point. And what do you think I learned from that experience? That if you have friends to back you up, it's always a "GREAT IDEA".

6 comments:

  1. yan can cook fried eggs, but the chicken will be in the kitchen and we don't want him to see the fried eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok - well honestly, I don't understand the problem with chalking the walk. i mean, it didn't damage any property. It wasn't offensive, so it couldn't embarrass anyone or demean them... I mean, i just don't get it. why would the Dean be "disappointed"? Did they just think it was "detracting" from the campus's beauty? or is it because it is "private property" and you didn't have prior permission? ah well... I still say HARMLESS!!! I would have sooooo been there.

    I did tell you that my roommate and I "dressed for a night out" (like up-do's and prom dresses) and walked around campus like we were important and somewhere fancy to go. then we ended up at the Chevron getting ramen noodles, corned beef hash and slurpies. it was awesome. We also did a lot of "Vogue: Strike a Pose" poses. too fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. FYI... I feel I really must know now which parts of this story are true... **sigh**

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one is true up to where we got caught. We really didn't get caught. But the next day when we went to admire our masterpiece the groundskeepers had already cleaned it up. I guess the school didn't want it there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, I wanna go on a mission. That is a good idea for a birthday party.

    ReplyDelete