Wednesday, January 20, 2010

CSM

I was waiting at checkout one day. There was only two people ahead of me. There were not many lanes open so my lane really started to fill up. There were about 4 people behind me. The cashier obviously had some physical problems. She was shaking the whole time she was working but she was actually pretty quick. I had seen her before and she's worked there for a long time. Anyway, I know people were getting really impatient because of the line but I knew it wasn't the cashier's fault. She was going as fast as she could. There was a csm however who was just sort of walking around. Then out of the blue she comes up to our cashier and starts bawling her out that she's not going fast enough. The cashier just took the abuse and went on ringing everybody up. I was mortified. I could not believe that this csm would come up and embarrass this cashier who was one of the only employees working as far as I could see.
When I got up to the cashier who looked like she was having an awful day and that she was about to cry at any moment. I told her that it was not right what that csm did. I knew that she was working as hard as she could. I also said it loud enough that the others behind me could hear me. I figured that if they heard what I thought it might change their thinking in case they were taking the side of the csm and I did not want any of them to be snotty to this poor cashier. After I got done with check-out I went right up to customer service.
I had to wait about 15 min. before I even got to speak with anyone. They had two people working there but they were going very slowly. They also were talking to each other so we all just had to wait for them to work at their convenience. By the time I got up there I was steamed. I asked to speak to a manager. They asked about what and if they could help me. I explained that I would end up speaking to a manager anyway and I figured their time could be used more wisely to just page the manager and help the next customer.
I waited another 15 min. Finally a manager appeared. She asked if I had a problem. I explained that it wasn't really my problem but the store's problem. I told the story of the cashier and the csm. I described my disgust. I talked about my less than positive view of the customer service workers. I then talked about how it was amazing how long it took for a manager to come up to the service desk. I said that whatever they pay the cashiers they deserve more. I said that whatever they pay the customer service desk worker or the managers was way too much. I said they shouldn't be paying the one csm anything at all. I've seen her before too and she's always just standing around.
I felt like my voice was heard and I left. I've been back to the store and guess what, nothing has changed. The lazy csm is still there. The slow customer service workers are still there and that poor cashier is still there getting no respect. Sad ending I know.

3 comments:

  1. Those in service are usually the most over-worked and under-paid. That is why the administration are usually called "the fat cats" because they lounge around and get paid for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. take the story to the local newspaper. that'll get someone's attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. start carrying around CCA's (Customer's Choice Awards) and hand them out IF someone like the slower cashier deserves it! that'll get someone's attention! :)

    ReplyDelete