Sunday, January 17, 2010

Fortune Cookie

I was sitting in a Chinese restaurant with my friend and roommate. We had a lovely dinner. Afterward the fortune cookies were brought out. Her's said something about love or something. Mine said that there was a suspicious character watching me. I felt the hairs on the back of my neck begin to rise. What kind of a fortune was that? I told my friend and we scanned the restaurant. There seemed to be only one suspicious character. There was a man eating alone about three tables behind me. He was facing our table. My friend said he had been watching us during the dinner.
I admit, I was a little freaked out and since we were done we decided to get out of there. We paid and left. After about two blocks I dared her to look behind us just to check. She did and said with a quiver in her voice that he was following us. We knew we were only one block from our bus stop and we hoped that we wouldn't have to wait long. Luckily the bus was there and we hopped on. So did our friend. We got some seats in the back of the bus where we could watch him. We knew we had seven stops until ours and then we had to walk five blocks to our apartment, unlock the door to the building, walk a long hall, go up one floor by elevator, walk down another long hall and then finally unlock our apartment until we would be safe. Needless to say, we were not feeling confident.
We were trying to decide if we should try to go home or if we should try to go somewhere else more public first to try to lose him. But we also didn't know if it was just our imaginations getting the best of us. At the time we were both sort of fit so we decided we would just go home and hopefully we could out run him if needed. We sat in our seats and jumped out the door the last second before the doors shut and just started running. Neither one of us wanted to turn around to look so we just kept running. She had her key out for the building and I had my key out for our door.
We made it too our building and while she was getting the key in I saw him coming. He was definitely after us. Luckily we were faster. We got in, ran down the hall, up the elevator, into our room and slammed the door. Then we called two friends of ours and related the whole story. They came over immediately and checked things out. They even went around our building and neighborhood to look for the guy as we described him. We never saw that guy again.

4 comments:

  1. Hmm, I wonder, was he carrying a big cardboard check to give to you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i do remember hearing about that fortune, though... i think we determined it was a "misfortune cookie"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i got a fortune cookie the other night and it said "help, i'm trapped in a fortune cookie factory" i threw it out.

    ReplyDelete